Jim “JD” Orr CEO, Lead Instructor – Industrial and Innovative Design
Jim graduated from the prestigious Center for Creative Studies in Detroit, Michigan, and was quickly hired by General Motors, where he worked for over 15 years including serving as the Executive Design Director of Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Cadillac, the Corporate Education Liaison Coordinator of Advanced Vehicle Operations, and the Director of World Car Vehicle Design at Opel in Russelsheim, Germany.
After GM, Jim served as faculty professor with the Industrial Design Department at the Columbus College of Art and Design, and subsequently the Cleveland Institute of Art, as well as teaching creativity and motivational workshops to Fortune 500 corporations in his Columbus design studio.
Education and Credentials
- BFA, Industrial Design, Center for Creative Studies
- Corporate Education Liaison, General Motors Design Staff
- Assistant Chairman of Design, Columbus College of Art and Design
- Director of Industrial Design, Cleveland Institute of Art
- Favorite places to visit: Coastal Maine, Outer Banks of the Carolinas, and the Pacific Coast Highway Region and Big Sur in California.
- Hobbies: Fascinated with reading all manner of subject matter. Truly enjoys the fine arts including painting, drawing, and hand-crafted skills for the challenge of it. Inspired by the “man and machine” of Formula One and how it challenges the limits of engineers, designers, drivers and mechanics!
- Why Cedarville: It does not retreat from the need to be “bold” in our lethargic culture, and the university “dares to be great” which is our studio motto, day in and day out. Cedarville is an “idea.” It lives. It reaches. It thrives. It stretches. It penetrates. It searches. Our goal is to give a young person a sense of purpose and a sense of adventure, and Cedarville is the perfect partner for us to achieve this goal! Deo Volente.